According to a legend, the first attempt to send two letters by the Internet crashed the whole system. Almost 50 years later, the internet has come to play an enormous role in our lives, but we still face huge challenges: How to tackle Russian bots? How to scope with filter bubbles and echo chambers? Are platforms digital monopolists?
The DELab team, together with partners Nesta (UK) and EURECAT (ES), participate in the EU ENGINEROOM project, funded by the European Commission. As part of this work, the project is developing a methodology based on cutting-edge data science methods, which help us identify the latest trends and emerging technologies in the internet space, as well as analyse the most pressing social issues the net faces today.
We would like to invite you to the Next Generation Internet Data Sprint to think about the future of Internet with us!
The Data Sprint will take place on 9-10 November at the Faculty of Economic Sciences. During the hackathon you will have the opportunity to cooperate with experienced data-scientists from the consortium (Nesta, Eurecat, Delab) and be among the first to get to experiment with our data sets and new methodologies – from doing text-mining analyse to building data visualisations, using web data sources like Reddit, Wikipedia, Ars Technica or Reuters.
We will work in small groups of 3 to 4 students, attractive awards are available for the best and most creative projects. This is also an opportunity to have some of your work showcased to the European Commission. For inspirations check out some of our preliminary results: https://ngi.delabapps.eu/.
* 9 – 10 November: We start on Friday 17:00 at WNE UW with intro to the assignments. The coding sprint will be from Saturday from 9:00 until 20:00. Pizza and energetic drinks will be provided to boost creativity.
* Event’s website: http://www.delab.uw.edu.pl/pl/ngi_hackathon/
* Do not feel like a master of coding? Nothing lost, we invite everyone with basis of Python (Python 3 is the optimal tool for the hackathon), R or Tableau. If you have no experience in coding, but interested in social challenges of technology, your contribution will be highly valued as well.
* We reserve the right to close registration after reaching the limit of 40 students. In the case of a high number of applications, admissions will be decided based on the results of the short survey during registration.
* Best teams will receive awards!
Register now! https://goo.gl/forms/ucEfNxMmuqal2Bf32