Digital Commons are among the core assets to pursue Europe’s Digital Sovereignty. Several initiatives and calls for actions are gaining traction, striving to bring real benefits to individuals and organisations by ensuring open, inclusive and decentralised access to digital resources in line with the core principles and action of the Next Generation Internet (NGI) Initiative. However, in order to ensure that such approaches can grow and become viable alternatives over the current concentration of Internet resources, it is crucial to pull resources. Therefore, policymakers, regulators, public authorities and all other relevant players in the internet arena must converge to define collaboration policies and targeted institutional and financial plans to guarantee interoperability and community governance.
- Discuss priorities for Europe to support an open, free, global, interoperable, reliable, and secure Internet.
- Explore the latest evolution of Digital Commons initiatives and relevant European policy-driven efforts.
- Discuss the role of the Next Generation Internet initiative as a way to foster Digital Commons and European Digital Sovereignty.
- Increase collaboration among all European players at work on Digital Commons.
The webinar will be moderated by Dr Monique Calisti, CEO Martel Innovate, Director NGI Outreach Office.
- 14h:30 – 14h:35
Welcome and introduction – Dr Monique Calisti, CEO Martel Innovate, Director NGI Outreach Office
- 14h:35 – 14h:50
The European Digital Priorities Next Generation Internet (NGI) contribution to Digital Commons – Gemma Carolillo, Deputy Head of Next Generation Internet Unit
- 14h:50 – 15h:10
Key note – Nele Leosk, Ambassador-at-Large for Digital Affairs of Estonia
- 15h:10 – 16h:25
Expert panel discussion
- Paul Keller, Director of Open Future
- Kasia Odrozek, Director of Mozilla Foundation
- Melanie Dulong de Rosnay, Director of CNRS Center for Internet and Society
- Laureen Van Breen, Director of WikiRate
- 16h:25 – 16h30
Wrap-up and next appointments – Dr Monique Calisti, CEO Martel Innovate, Director NGI Outreach Office
Registration is free.