The NGI_TRUST open calls aim to:
- Engage a variety of players (newcomers to H2020 are encouraged!);
- Explore pre-selected privacy & trust enhancing topics (defined with support an advisory board) critical to building a human centric Internet
NGI_TRUST will support third-party projects working in the following areas:
- Technical innovation in privacy enhancing technologies, such as cryptography, federated identity, security and privacy for Internet of Things (IoT), distributed ledgers and privacy-enhancing data transports and data at rest.
- The application of artificial intelligence/machine learning/neural networks to serve the user’s interests (such as addressing concerns arising from the impact of profiling and mass surveillance).
- Bootstrapping trust at the protocol level, to maintain a decentralised Internet Infrastructure, for the establishment of trust, privacy (and security) between end-users and services.
- Developing means for individuals to make more informed decisions on the relevance of information that they are asked to disclose when accessing and using services.
NGI_TRUST is organising three rounds of open calls:
- A 1st call (open from 1 February 2019) will seek to attract a broad mix of projects including a larger number of early-stage ‘feasibility’ studies.
- A 2nd call (scheduled to open in October 2019) and a 3rd call (scheduled to open in February 2020) will aim to build on 1st phase projects (larger second round funded projects following on from smaller pilot/feasibility projects) but also attract additional players with scalable projects in specific fields, industries or verticals.
NGI_TRUST Open Call third-party projects
Three types of third-party projects will be awarded funding:
- Type 1 (viability): up to € 100,000 from NGI_Trust, no matching funds required. The objective is to explore and assess the technical feasibility and/or commercial potential of a breakthrough innovation that aims at enhancing privacy and trust for the NGI. Activities can include conceptual development, risk assessment, market study or intellectual property management of a new technology or service, or a new application of existing technologies.
- Type 2 (execution): up to €180,000 from NGI_Trust and matching funds of up to €90,000 (2/3 – 1/3 model). The objective is to fund R&D or technology development projects underpinned by a strategic plan and feasibility assessment (which can be, but need not be, developed through a Type 1 project funded by NGI_Trust).
- Type 3 (transition to commercialisation): up to €200,000 from NGI_Trust and the equivalent in matching funds (50/50). These projects should pursue the commercialisation of a privacy and trust enhancing innovation for the NGI (which can be, but need not be, developed through a Type 2 project funded by NGI_Trust).
Interested in applying?
For the first call, the call text, application form and detailed guidance for applicants are now available for download at the NGI_TRUST Open Call Wiki page and also below:
Applications should be received by 30 April 2019 at 18:00
The NGI_TRUST consortium will organise a number of webinars and be present at a number of events during the period February-April 2019 to discuss with interested applicants.
For further information, please contact the NGI_TRUST support team: