Summary of the NGI_TRUST Open Calls:
- Technical innovation in privacy enhancing technologies, such as crypto, federated identity, security and privacy for Internet of Things (IoT), distributed ledgers and privacy-enhancing data transports and data at rest.
- Ethical aspects, such as ways to use AI/ML/neural networks to serve the user’s interests, legal and best practices for policy makers to consider, impact of profiling and mass surveillance
- Bootstrapping trust at the protocol level, to maintain a decentralized Internet Infrastructure, for the establishment of trust, privacy (and security) between end-users and services
- Ways for users to make more informed decisions on the relevance of information that they are asked to disclose when accessing services
Open Calls aim to:
- Engage a variety of players (newcomers to H2020 are encouraged!);
- Explore pre-selected privacy & trust enhancing topics (defined with support an advisory board) critical to building a human centric Internet
- 1st call (opens February 2019) will seek to attract a broad mix of projects including a larger number of early-stage ‘feasibility’ studies.
- 2nd call (opens February 2020) will aim to build on 1st phase projects (larger second round funded projects following on from smaller pilot/feasibility projects) but also attract additional players with scalable projects
Open Call projects (third party)
Three types of third-party projects will be awarded funding:
- Phase 1 (viability) : up to € 100K from NGI_Trust – no matching funds required;
- Phase 2 (execution) : up to € 200K from NGI_Trust -> matching funds up to € 100K (2/3 – 1/3 model);
- Phase 3 (transition to commercialization) : up to € 200K in NGI_Trust core funding -> equivalent in matching funds (50/50).
- Maximum award to any single third-party will be €200,000.
- Duration of third-party projects : from 9 to 12 months (some flexibility).
- All projects will receive additional support in the form of technical coaching, business mentoring and IP advice from the project partners and other NGI projects.